Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chapter One--Suggestions

I decided to pull main ideas from what I wrote to Mr. Bennett on chapter one:

These quotations seem important:
“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had all the advantages that you’ve had.” (beginning of the chapter)

“I’m p-paralyzed with happiness.” (Daisy's first line)

“I’m glad it’s a girl. And I hope she’ll be a fool--that’s that best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” (Daisy's reaction to her daughter's birth.)

I would pay particular attention to the colors in the chapter. I like colors in literature. Pay particular attention to the colors at the dinner party--and contrast them to the very last scene in the chapter. It's important to know who that mysterious man is!

I'd also pay attention to "truth" and what people say. There is a great deal about those in this chapter. With that--the idea of gossip--without calling it gossip.

Remember: Everything has happened and Nick is reflecting back on it.