Monday, February 2, 2009

The Great Gatsby--Forsberg's journal

I am thinking that I will write on the blog as I read Gatsby. If I hear from people that it's worthwhile, I may continue to do it. If no one emails me to tell me that it's helpful, it means I'm wasting my time--and may continue my journal privately.

MIDAS... MORGAN ... MAECENAS The first was the legendary king who was granted his wish that everything he touch change to gold. "Morgan" refers to J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913), the famous New York financier. "Maecenas" was a wealthy Etruscan patron of the Roman poets Horace and Virgil. All three are examples of Fitzgerald's fascination with wealth and the very wealthy.

I knew Midas and Morgan, but not Maecenas. I Googled it and found this...since I know the first two are correct, I assume the third is as well.

I read this again and recalled that the entire story is written from the perspective of Nick after he has returned "home" to the Midwest. So, sort of like Kindred, the story begins and we know that Nick survives to tell the story.

There is a lot of vocabulary to this book. I'm hoping students are taking the time to look it up. I think it's essential to understanding Fitzgerald. The other thing that I noticed were the colors. I hope the students find them--the wedding cake house and wine carpet... We'll see.

Let me know if this is helpful.