Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Forsberg's class: Artifacts for Presentation

1. An artifact is an object made by humans that is of historical interest.
2. You are to choose three artifacts that you have with you that are of personal historical interest to you.
3. You will need to give a literal description of the object.
4. You will need to give background about the object and be able to tell the story about it.
5. You will need to be able to tell the symbolism of the object--what non-tangible thing does it represent? Why is that important?
6. What does it tell us about who you are?

Example:
1. I have a gold and diamond ring that I wear. It's worn as decoration.
2. I had the ring made in 1990. When I was taking care of my mom when she was dying from cancer, she told me that she wanted me to take the diamond from her ring and have a ring made for me to wear.
3. The ring represents the relationship I had with my mom. It also represents the best work that I think I ever have done--taking care of her day-to-day as she was living her last days on earth, something I never thought I could do. Her great fear was that she would be abandoned, and I stayed with her and held her hand as she died.
4. I think this ring represents the strength it took for me to be able to take care of my mom. It represents the fact that I made a promise to her and I lived up to it. It represents that I am a man of my word and a man of strength. It also represents the love I have for my mom.